Steps for Reporting Issues

  1. Contact your landlord.

    1. This may be done through your property management company's housing portal, via email, or other means.

    2. We strongly recommend that correspondence with your landlord happen in print (email, letter, etc...), so a record is kept.

    3. We advise that you attach your completed housing assessment to the correspondence.

  2. If your landlord fails to correct these problems, contact Kingston's Property Standards office at 613-546-4291, extension 3280 or via email at

  3. If necessary, as deemed by Kingston's Property Standards office, they will set up an inspection within two weeks of you contacting them to arrange an inspection of your dwelling. (COVID-19 could impact this.)

    1. After the inspector confirms these violations, they will issue an order to the landlord to repair these issues within a set time frame.

    2. It is your responsibility as a tenant to contact the Property Standards office if these repairs are not completed.

    3. If these repairs are not sufficiently completed within the timeline mentioned above, and the landlord does not appeal the order, then the City may take legal action.

      1. Legal action could entail charges being laid under the Building Code Act against the landlord.